A talented, diverse group of individuals who enjoy supporting the
collegiate soccer community.
New Membership in WCISOA and NISOA
Experienced soccer referees capable of officiating college and university level soccer matches are strongly encouraged to apply for membership in WCISOA. Acceptance to membership in WCISOA, the West Coast chapter of NISOA, includes acceptance to membership in NISOA and qualifies the official to officiate collegiate soccer matches throughout the U.S. WCISOA services all NCAA Division II & III (NAIA) colleges and universities in northern California, extending from Turlock and Monterey, north to the Oregon border. WCISOA also provides officials for the California Community College Coast Conference.
The number and level of match assignments depend on each referee’s availability, experience, and match evaluations, but WCISOA presently provides officials for more than 700 matches in the 3-month period between August 20 and November 20. Matches are scheduled on every day of the week with Tuesday and Friday being at least as busy as weekend days.
To be considered for membership in WCISOA, an applicant must be at least 18 years of age and have participated for at least two years as a soccer referee in a group or association of soccer officials recognized by WCISOA. Experience must be documented by WCISOA.
In addition to meeting the qualifications to join WCISOA, a referee MAY become eligible for WCISOA/NISOA membership as follows:
Complete the NISOA/WCISOA Application Form, and mail it, including a check with the appropriate amount to:
712 Los Huecos Dr
San Jose, CA 95123
Home: (408) 225-9850
Cellular: (408) 420-1637
The form requests three soccer references. Please provide the names and contact information of two WCISOA members, local college or university soccer coaches, or recognized administrators of soccer official’s organizations (such as US Soccer) who have been asked by you to provide letters of Recommendation. Forward these letters to Bob Bagshaw with your application.
You may speed the application process by contacting the WCISOA Area Representative for your area. Send an email to that Area Representative, including your name, email, street address, and telephone number.
- Contact your area representative to arrange to be evaluated as the referee in a match approved by them. This evaluation should be completed successfully before proceeding with the remaining items in this list.
- Complete the WCISOA Physical Fitness test. You should have a completed Medical Waiver form at that time..
- Send a registration fee, amount to be determined by the selection from the Uniform kit options, check or money order, payable to WCISOA, to Bob Bagshaw. Costs included are: WCISOA and NISOA registration fees, entrance exam fee, and a complete NISOA Referee Kit from Official Sports, including: uniform shirt and shorts, stockings, whistle, flags, coin, card set, and alternate uniform shirt.
- Pass a written NISOA qualifying exam ,given by the Area Representative
- Following completion of these items and approval by the WCISOA Board of Directors, membership will follow. A prospective member may be placed on probation for two years, depending upon field assessments.